Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day Two: The Bowling Alley Phenomenon

Of the 24 hours of Day Two, nine hours were spent in the lab. First thing I did was to check on the now-completely-destained electrophoretogram from our first SDS-PAGE attempt (see Day One). What it looked like? Hmmm, let's just say that we have discovered a new electrophoretogram phenomenon. The people in the lab called it The Bowling Alley Phenomenon. Here's a snippet of the actual electrophoretogram.




Bowling Alley Phenomenon, get it?


Anyway... Today's agenda: SDS-PAGE attempt #2 and Bradford assay attempt #... uhm... Bradford assay, period. Bradford assay, quite successful ---> proof that, indeed, practice makes perfect. Our assay was not yet perfect, though. But we're getting there. :) SDS-PAGE? Failure (yet again). But as I've said, practice makes perfect. We'll get there sometime. :)


Tonight I'm gonna resume my Heroes Season 4 marathon. Or maybe I'll just finish reading Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters. Whichever I choose to do, I'll do it while eating Bavarian-flavored donuts.


Tomorrow's agenda: SDS-PAGE attempt #3 and summer 2010 registration.

3 comments:

  1. And the bowling alley phenomenon's good or bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bad..:( the bands can't be determined at all..:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's an unusual smearing pattern, i think. and smearing is not good.

    ReplyDelete