Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day One: SDS-PAGEing

Day One.


Woke up to a HOT morning thinking, "Must catch the 10:30-am shuttle to IPB. Must catch the 10:30-am shuttle to IPB." As I was getting dressed, I imagined myself looking at an electrophoretogram with perfect bands and without a single tear. Hey, I can dream, can't I? I have never PAGEd anything before but I had this impression that PAGEing would be such a hassle - from preparing all the necessary solutions, to preparing the gels, and to very carefully removing the ultrathin (exaggerating, of course) finished product from the glass plates.


Anyway, it was... uhm... not as hard as I imagined (maybe because the necessary solutions have already been prepared) but I'm not saying it's easy. I know I'll master the art of SDS-PAGEing (uhm) someday (?)


So, today's five hours were spent in the lab. And the fruit of our labor? Well, let's just say it's not the perfect electrophoretogram I had imagined. There was a "minor punit" and I haven't seen the bands yet (destaining in progress) - that's something to look forward to tomorrow.


To celebrate Day one, I took some pictures of the place that will serve as my 2nd home for a month. The Institute of Plant Breeding (IPB). 



I could get used to the view. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment